Thanks from the Grange to all who attended

This forum is shown on the index page along with all topics.
biglakejudy

Thanks from the Grange to all who attended

Post by biglakejudy » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:44 pm

I want to take a few minutes to thank one and all who showed up today for Santa Breakfast. It was the BEST pancake feed we have had to date. People were wonderful and patient. We had so many that the grill was struggling to keep up with demand. Again, thank you.
An apology to the woman with the child in a wheelchair. After running through many different ways to try and get her son into the basement, none seemed to fit her needs. Again, I am truly sorry.

The Grange has been working on a handicapped access bathroom and a way to access the basement for almost three years now. Its not an easy fix. There is of course, the cost of it. Which has to be collected by fundraisers. We are a non profit. All of us work very hard, today being an example, to achieve the goals we have set for ourselves and our building. It will happen. But again, its the money and putting in access is very expensive.
Judy Brezina

belouskasm

Re: Thanks from the Grange to all who attended

Post by belouskasm » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:12 pm

To hold a community event which is non-wheelchair accessible seems to speak of discrimination. Given the age of the building, why is it still not accessible to wheelchair-bound disabled citizens who have every right to enjoy activities other people are able to attend? I have never even seen a fundraiser for wheelchair access. Your solution to the problem, Judy, as you told me "just have a couple of men carry him in and put him in a seat", was quite crass. I want to thank santa Claus again for visiting with my son upstairs. He was so nice.
Marianne Holm/Mark Belouskas

RedRonda

Post by RedRonda » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:40 pm

It was just shortly ago that the wheelchair access ramp has been added for the upstairs. The upstairs is where most events are held and where the bathrooms are located. And it was a significant expense.

The grange is operating on a shoe string yet they provide numerous activities for the community and offer their space for things like the Firemen Appreciation Dinner at no cost, the Easter Egg Hunt and Breakfast at no cost, opened as a Red Cross shelter in the first days of the 2014 fires again at no charge and have many times opened their doors for the community at less than it costs to turn on the heat when a need has presented itself.
Yes access would be nice. But like many buildings 100% access has not yet happened.

I have physical limitations and I find this community accommodating in the extreme. I would bet the farm that had she been given ten minutes Judy could have found more than adequate volunteers to carry your child or any adult in need, where-ever.
Having worked with Judy on a number of Grange projects and activities I suggest that if Judy says it can be done, take her word for it!
Ronda Bradeen

belouskasm

Post by belouskasm » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:23 pm

I find e unreasonable to hold a event like this and not be handicap accessible
mark belouskas

Return to “Main Forum”     Back